Please join us for our
Willow Springs Restoration Fundraiser-
A Community Sale & Flea Market on
May 14, June 11, July 9 & August 13, 2016
The school property was donated by a private individual to the community as a site for a grade school. The school house and out buildings were built by the local citizens and were completed for use in 1924. This new school house replaced the original Willow Springs School located a short distance away on Greilich road. The new school was first known as the Voorheis School until about 1933 when it assumed the name of the Willow Springs School it replaced. From the beginning, the school house and out buildings were installed and maintained by members of the local community. The facility was the property of the Willow Springs Elementary School District. When the school was closed in June 1955, the school house and grounds became a community center and continued to be maintained by the Willow Springs Community Club and was used for local functions. These functions included 4H meetings, Grange meetings, baby showers, card parties, dances, holiday celebrations and in general, has been a social meeting place for the surrounding community. It has always been a local gathering place for people of all ages and is equipped for multiple uses.
Presently, there are some major improvements that need to be made to the facility as well as some general maintenance requirements. The septic system needs to be rebuilt, the bathrooms need to be upgraded, the roof needs some repair and the building should have its electrical wiring replaced. Given the history of the school house, it’s past uses and planned continued use, the Willow Springs community wishes to move forward with the modifications and upgrades. The community has increased in size over the past 20 years and there is now a growing demand for the school house to continue serving as a center for local meetings and special events.
These major improvements involve costs that are well beyond the financial resources of the community. Considering the existing requirements for facility upgrading and the need for its continued use, the steering committee for the Willow Springs community is seeking donations to cover the cost of the above mentioned projects. Tax deductible donations can be made to the Amador Community Foundation C/O Willow Springs Restoration. The director of the foundation is Kathleen Harmon and she can be reached at 209-223-2148, in person at 148 Main Street, Jackson or by mail at PO Box 1154 Jackson, CA 95642. Contributions to this effort will be greatly appreciated.